Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, February 27, 2011

ANNOUNCING OUR VERY OWN QUILTING BEE

 "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." J.R.R. Tolkien
Zach received his 'Wrapped in Hope' quilt last month.


After receiving a quilting  rejection a few weeks back I was gifted with many nice and supportive comments and e-mails from friends of Margaret's Hope Chest-basically, the consensus was to carry on and don't let it bother me-and I have...mostly. I must admit that I still go to their Flickr group and snoop around every once in a while--wishing I had been welcomed in....but I have so much work to do here it is crazy that I would be wishing for one more commitment. Anyway, one particular e-mail I received was from Emily-she said:
"I have this idea... Actually I was thinking about it way before your rejection post, but that just solidified my thoughts.  I think we should start a Bee for MHC.  Like the do.good.stitches bee but only for your organization. 

I would love to contribute more to MHC but sometimes feel I don't have time to make and entire quilt.  If I could do bee blocks each month I would feel like I'm making a difference, albeit small.  What do you think? " 

I think---YES
And so without further ado--I present the Margaret's Hope Chest Quilting Bee!! And the blocks that participants make will go directly into quilts for 6 kids on the 'Wrapped in Hope' Birthday List!  Why I am I using lots of exclamation marks?? Because I am really excited about this and I hope about 20 other people are too!!!
Here is what I am looking for.  12 people (for each quilt) to make 2 of the pre-determined blocks in the pre-determined color/theme.  Simple.  You could sign up for one quilt or all 6.  

Here are the kids I have selected:
1. Joshua with a birthday of June 2, 1999.  He likes basketball, blue, red, black, white, yellow. Blocks must be received by May 1st.  The block I have chosen is Crazy Mom Quilts Hourglass Block. FULL

2. Jordan with a birthday of July 2 , 2002. He likes cars, animals, yellow, orange, red, blue. Blocks for this quilt must be received by June 1st. The block I have chosen is Cluck Cluck Sew's Stack and Whack Block.  FULL

3. Meyon with a birthday of October 7, 1998. She likes purple, pink and cats. Blocks for this quilt must be received by August 1st. The block I have chosen for this is PS I Quilt's Block-O-Strings block.

4. N'Tari with a birthday of November 9, 1995. He likes football, basketball, dogs, blue, black, white. Blocks for this quilt must be received by September 1st. The block I have chosen for this is That Girl That Quilt's Cross Block tutorial.

5. Frankee with a birthday of November 27, 2002.  She likes pink, purple, tiaras, butterflies. Blocks for this quilt must be received by October 1st.  The block I have chosen for this is Crazy Mom Quilts Hourglass Block. 
FULL

6. Harmony with a birthday of December 17, 1999. She likes blue, pink, green, red. Blocks for this quilt must be received by October 1st.  The block I have chosen for this is PS I Quilt's Block-O-Strings block.




So what do you think? Are you IN? I think that the quilts that are made will be spectacular display of commitment to bringing HOPE and comfort to these precious children.  E-mail Carin or leave a comment  if you have any questions or want to grab a spot!

23 comments:

Angela D. said...

I've never done a bee before but I'd love to help out. I could do string blocks for #3 or #6. Just send me an email with the specifics.

And this would be . . . . said...

I am interested in this. I could do #3 or #5. Let me know what other details I need.

Lynn said...

#5 for me!

sunny said...

I'd like to do all of them. Just give me the details for size of blocks, etc, and I'll get started. I went to a retreat this past weekend, and designed a Hope quilt!

Finn said...

Just me again Carin, love the idea of the quilting bee.
I'll happily make blocks for #1 Jordon(hourglass) and #3 Meyon(string blocks). Let me know what size. I'll make a note of their personal interests and be ready to roll on it. Hugs, Finn

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

This is a great idea! I'd like to contribute to Joshua, Jordan and N'Tari. I'm currently working on some quilts that fit perfectly.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Hi, this is Rachel from Stitched in Color. I am so happy to hear that you are launching your own bee. I know that your quilts will be a gift to many. There's plenty of room in the world for charity bees of all kinds. Have fun and blessings!

Emily said...

You know I'm in all the way!!!!

Jennifer said...

I would love to contribute to #2 and #4 and I promise that I'm not being conceited by making a block from my own tutorial LOL! I just love cross blocks...

Jennifer :)

Robin said...

What a wonderful idea! I'd love to participate in #2 and/or #5. Just let me know where I'm needed and the details. :)

Sandra said...

This is a wonderful idea! It's a win-win for all involved. You can put my name down for #2 and #4.

catt410 said...

You can count me in for #3 and 5.

Sarah said...

I'll make some blocks for #5 - I'm working with butterfly fabric right now. Just let me know what size to make them!

Amy Friend said...

I'd love to help. Let me know what spots are left. I'll do any of them.

ashley said...

I would like to help as well. I would be happy to do any of these, please just let me know which spots you need to fill in.

Ashley

Sew,ray,me said...

I'd love to participate - I could help with No. 2 and No. 4.

Never done this before though so I'd need some info!

My blog - www.sewrayme.co.uk

Char said...

I would like to make blocks for Meyon and Harmony. I love making string blocks. Just let me know if you need more than 2 each.

Becks said...

I would LOVE to jump in and help out with the remaining 3 kiddos. (3. Meyon; 4. N'Tari; & 6. Harmony) Please e-mail me the information. Thanks so much for the opportunity! <3

summergirlof74 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Renae said...

I'd love to help with Meyon's quilt--pink and purple all the way at my house. I'd be thrilled to use up some scraps and try out a new design.

Renae said...

O.K. put me down for Harmony's also. I went thru my stash and I have those colors too.

reklimes (at) usfamily (dot) com

Anonymous said...

I would love to do several, please email me with what you need.

A mom said...

I can do string blocks for #3 Meyon. Let me know the particulars. Jo Anna

Emma said...

I could do either 3 or 6 (although I don't have any cat fabric for 3). One question on the string blocks though - are we doing a specific color for the center string like in the tutorial?